Thursday, July 22, 2010

Favorite Cookie recipe

I have a few Dirty Little Christmas Secrets, and one of them is that I actually don't care much for Christmas Cookies! I know, I know....

I love to decorate them, but  most of them are SO bland! Especially sugar cookies, and what I think of as the Scandinavian/German/ Eastern European types...just flour and a sweet taste, with maybe some vanilla or cinnamon or anise flavor. Blah to me, though I know everyone else adores them! In truth, I don't have much of a sweet tooth; I am more about salt and grease!  :o)

 These are not traditional Christmas-type cookies at all, but they are the most requested of all the cookies I make around the holidays. They are SO good.

I remember when one branch of my family decided that we'd no longer exchange gifts at our get together, I got calls from three different in-laws, anxiously asking if I'd still be making my Chex Mix, deviled eggs and "those cookies" ! LOL!

If you like coffee and chocolate, I know you'll enjoy these. The flavor is best the day after making them, so it's a good recipe to make a day ahead.

I am not a fan of frozen cookies, so I am not sure if these are suited for that.


Mocha Truffle Cookies
Source: Better Homes and Gardens

Makes 30 cookies
Prep: 25 minutes
Bake: 10 minutes

Ingredients

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate pieces
tablespoon instant coffee crystals
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 beaten eggs
teaspoons vanilla
cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
cup semisweet chocolate pieces

Directions


In a large saucepan melt butter and the 1/2 cup chocolate pieces over low heat. Remove from heat. Stir in coffee crystals; cool 5 minutes. Stir in sugars, eggs, and vanilla.

In a medium mixing bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Stir into coffee mixture. Stir in the 1 cup chocolate pieces.

Drop dough by rounded tablespoons onto lightly greased cookie sheets.

Bake in a 350 degree F oven 10 minutes. Let cool 1 minute before removing from sheet. Makes 30 cookies.

2 comments:

  1. I am sure you have made a lot of people very happy by posting this recipe! There are a lot of chocolate/coffee fans out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this blog T.!!! It's certainly right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with me!